[Tweeters] Westport Fallout!!!

mike denny m.denny at charter.net
Sat Apr 23 14:15:32 PDT 2005

Hello All,
This past week Ginger and Rodger Shoemake and MerryLynn and I spent
Wed-Friday birding the Washington Coast! On 22 April at the base of the
Westport Jetty and back to the east around to the inner bay we observed the
following species dropping out of the sky and gathering on the fill material
and at the very east end of the jetty.

Fox Sparrow..........5
Savannah Sparrow..26
Golden-crowned Sparrow..12
Song Sparrow......3
Lincolns Sparrows....2
Hermit Thrushes.......4
American Pipit.......18
LAPLAND LONGSPURS..2, Seemed a late date.
SNOW BUNTING.........1, this is a late date for this species for us. Took
photos.
Orange-crowned Warbler...2
Townsend's Warbler...........1
Yellow-rumped Warbler.....1
Dark-eyed Junco.................2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet.........1
ROCK SANDPIPERS.........3, seemed a bit late as these birds were in breeding
plumage along with 27 Black Turnstones and 5 Surfbirds.

We saw many great species along the coast. We have never seen so many Red
Knots, Short-billed Dowitchers or Marbled Godwits on the Washington Coast.
Also saw 2 Merlin and 1 Peregrine. 12 Marbled Murrelets and thousands of
Shearwaters along with many loons.
Great company and allot of fun birding made for a very enjoyable trip.
Later Mike

Mike & MerryLynn Denny
1354 S. E. Central Ave.
College Place, WA 99324
509.529.0080 (h)

IF YOU HAVEN'T BEEN BIRDING, YOU HAVEN'T LIVED!