[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR and Brady Loop, 4/23/2005.

Tim O'Brien kertim7179 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 24 07:02:45 PDT 2005

Yesterday, I took part in a Grays Harbor Audubon field trip at Nisqually NWR that was led by Phil Kelly. Our small group had a great day at the refuge! We ended up with 58 species for the 4 hours that we were there. The weather was generally good up until the end of our walk when a light rain set in. Here are the highlights:

Great Horned Owls - we spent considerable time watching one adult and the 3 young with a lot of other observers. Its just amazing to be graced with such a great close up view of the owls.

Turkey Vultures - along the Nisqually River side of the trail between the boardwalk and the ring dike trail, we watched at least 3 vultures pass over the trail several times.

Cinnamon Teal - we lost count while walking out half way to McCallister Creek. It seemed they were everywhere.

American Bittern - saw at least 3 moving around on the south side of the McCallister Creek trail.

Red-breasted Sapsucker - one working on a snag tree along the boardwalk near the Nisqually River.

Other highlights included seeing/hearing some first of the year birds for either me or Phil. They included: Spotted Sandpiper - along the bank of the Nisqually River, Pacific-slope Flycatcher - I heard at least two in the trees between the boardwalk and the Nisqually, American Goldfinch - one seen from the ring dike trail, Sora - heard from the McCallister Creek trail.

After I left Nisqually, I headed back home with a stop around the Brady Loop area. As posted already by Aaron Martin and Fred Parent, we birded together for a portion of the loop. Shorebirds have really increased their presence with good numbers of Dowitchers, Dunlin, and Westerns. Greater Yellowlegs were numerous as well. We did pick out at least two Semi-palmated Plovers and one Least Sandpiper.

After leaving Fred and Aaron, I took a short walk out the south side of the loop and found two Wilson's Warblers. I also found a group of birders being led by Hugh Jennings and another birder from Oregon.

Good birding,

Tim O'Brien
Elma, WA
mailto: kertim7179 at yahoo.com