[Tweeters] American Avocet at Bowerman Basin

Guttman, Burt GuttmanB at evergreen.edu
Mon Apr 25 08:08:36 PDT 2005

Tom Schooley and I took our Birding 101 class to the coast Saturday and Sunday, and as we came into Bowerman Basin Saturday afternoon and were starting our trek toward the boardwalk, sharp-eyed Tom located an American Avocet. It was still there on Sunday.  The bird hangs out in the grassy area at the east end of the basin, also frequented by Canada Geese.  Look for it from the western end of the parking area or shortly after you pass the gate that usually keeps cars from going farther west.  Since it's so far from the road, we only got decent views with our scopes, and even then the bird appeared and disappeared as it moved in and out of the grass, up and down the bumps and ridges.

Earlier in the day, we had stopped at the Schouweiler Road wetland near Elma, were entertained by a cooperative flock of warblers (Yellow-rumped and Orange-crowned), but unfortunately didn't see the Bullock's Oriole reported by the Sullivans.  <sigh, sniff>  But the shorebirding on the coast was satisfactory and instructive; good numbers of Marbled Godwit at Ocean Shores, either on the beach or the golf course, rockpipers on the jetty, and nice little mixed flocks (say, a couple of thousand) of Dunlin and Westerns at Bowerman around high tide.

Burt Guttman
The Evergreen State College
Olympia, WA 98505      guttmanb at evergreen.edu
Home:  7334 Holmes Island Road S. E., Olympia, 98503