[Tweeters] Catbird yardbird 8/17

Scott Downes downess at charter.net
Thu Aug 18 08:57:09 PDT 2005

Working at home with the windows open will produce some most surprising
results sometimes. A neighborhood cat prompted an interesting call coming
from our dogwoods in the backyard....
The only bird coming to mind was a catbird, but couldn't believe a catbird
in our backyard in residential Yakima (18th and Summitview), so went and
checked it
out....
Well I HAD to believe my ears, because yes in the dogwoods directly above me
was a catbird! That would have to rank with one of the last yardbirds I
would have ever expected to add to our list....!
This bird resurfaced in the same spot last evening and again this morning.
As far I know records away from typical breeding habitat are nearly unheard
of, I'm especially curious as to why this bird is hanging around.

Scott Downes
downess at charter.net
Yakima WA