[Tweeters] Bateman Island, Richland WA

Bill and Nancy LaFramboise wlafra at owt.com
Wed Aug 24 10:24:34 PDT 2005

Migrants are slowly making their way through. Today on Bateman Island,
Kathy Criddle and I found a Gray Catbird, 10 or more Yellow Warblers,
several Orange-crowned, and 2 or 3 Townsend's. We also found 2 Chipping

The most surprising find was a Brewer's Sparrow on the trail. It would
jump up into the grasses to get seeds. This is not its usual habitat by
any means, so it may be a Bateman first. Bateman Island is locally thought
of as the place where most of the Tri-Cities birds have been seen at one
time or another. This sighting away from three-tip sagebrush has happened
before. A few year's ago there were a few hatch-year Brewer's Sparrows in
similar riparian habitat banded at the Wallula MAPS station.

Bill & Nancy LaFramboise
wlafra at owt.com
Richland, WA