[Tweeters] Pileated Woodpecker-window kill

Christine Southwick clsouth at u.washington.edu
Wed Aug 24 08:19:27 PDT 2005

The Burke Museum at the University of Washington has a large skin/feather collection for use by bird researchers.  They have the necessary permits.  I took a song sparrow that had been killed by a cat (one small puncture wound), and it is now a part of the specimens.  Donated birds also are used to train students how to preserve skins for research/data purposes.
Double bagging and freezing was enough--I kept it frozen on the way to the Burke by putting it in a cooler with lots of blue ice.

Christine Southwick
N Seattle/Shoreline

clsouth at u.washington.edu