[Tweeters] Bittern at Montlake Fill, and Snowy Owl nearby

Matt Dufort zeledonia at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 11 14:36:28 PST 2005

Tweeters,

I saw this Bittern today, this afternoon, in the same pond. It was out in
the open for at least 15 minutes, and allowed some of the best views I've
ever had of a Bittern. Other birds at the Fill included many ducks, with
large numbers of Aythyas - both Scaup, hundreds of Ring-necked Ducks, and
50+ Canvasbacks. I looked for, and did not find, Redhead and Tufted Duck,
but I think this would be a good spot for either of them. I found a single
Lincoln's Sparrow and a Meadowlark in the grass along the eastern side of
the loop trail.

A tip from a young birder (sorry, don't know his name), led me to a Snowy
Owl perched in a large evergreen just northeast of the intersection of 41st
St and 37th Ave NE (about a block east of the Center for Urban
Horticulture). The owl was perched about 20 feet from the top of the tree,
being mobbed continuously by a large flock of crows. One of the nearby
homeowners told me there had been a noisy flock of crows there all day,
which suggests the owl had been there all day as well.

A very pleasant afternoon in Seattle!

Good birding,
Matt Dufort
Seattle, WA