[Tweeters] mounted bird collections

Devorah Bennu birdologist at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 13 15:02:23 PST 2005

Not all museums are like this. AMNH in NYC has lots of
fabulous naturalistic exhibits, and they manage to
include some really cool interactive exhibits that
kids relate to, as well. the reason that most museums
lack this sort of thing is due primarily to money;
these exhibits are expensive in both materials as well
as technical support. further, this sort of thing
requires the museum hire imaginative people who have
excellent scientific backgrounds as well as tremendous
skill at being able to "read" where the public will be
in 12-24 months in advance.

as an example, AMNH now has a Darwin exhibit that just
opened. this exhibit is beautifully crafted and oh so
timely, and is thus very well-attended. this exhibit
was three (?) years in the making. it even has an
accompanying book that discusses how Darwin came to
his theory of evolution, his thought processes and
self-doubts, and why he waited so danged long to
publish his book, On the Origin of Species. this
exhibit will travel to several other museums
throughout the USA and will end up at NMNH in london
on the 150th anniversary of Darwin's birth. i
personally have spent many hours in this exhibit and
will spend more hours there before i write up a review
of it (for my blog, of course).

there is another exhibit at AMNH that also is a
fabulous example of using real dinosaur fossils
alongside modern technology (computer animations,
moving dinosaur robots, etc). to excite people (kids,
too) about evolution and evolutionary concepts. these
exhibits show how easy it can be to use a variety of
exhibits to illustrate a point.

incidentally, if you are visiting NYC anytime in the
next month or so, i HIGHLY recommend seeing both these
exhibits. the Darwin exhibit will be here for six
months, the dinosaur exhibit will be leaving sometime
in january 2006. these two exhibits will easily be an
all-day event.

devorah