[Tweeters] Darwin's birthday today

Douglas Canning dcanning at zhonka.net
Sun Feb 13 16:52:21 PST 2005

On 12 Feb 2005, Ian Paulsen wrote:

> HI:

> Here in the USA today we celebrate President Lincoln's birthday, but

> another person who made history was born the same day Lincoln was:

> Charles Darwin. I wonder where science would be if Darwin didn't write

> Origin of species in 1859? Would Wallace have written something about

> evolution that would have stood the test of time as Darwin's book

> have?

Thank you, Ian, for the reminder!

Would Wallace's paper have stood the test? Maybe so with the
scientific community, maybe no with the world at large. What is
likely, is that Wallace would not have had T.H. Huxley as his self-
appointed "bulldog" as did Darwin. And we'd all be the poorer had
Darwin not published.

For those of you who might be interested in a 20th century reprise of
Darwin's finches, I highly recommend "The Beak of the Finch" by
Jonathan Weiner (1995).

Douglas Canning
Olympia, Wash.
dcanning at zhonka.net