[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 2/13/05

David Moore & Judy Lin moorelin at mindspring.com
Sun Feb 13 16:22:40 PST 2005

Hello all,

We just got back from a trip to Nisqually NWR. It was very good, and the weather was perfect. Highlights were Eurasian Wigeon and a Peregrine swooping on Western Sandpipers and other peeps. Good sightings of Ring-necked Ducks and Cackling Geese and other waterfowl + Gulls (Mew, Thayers, Glaucous-winged, Ring-billed), and some raptors (great views of an R-T Hawk that flew RIGHT over us, not 40 feet up). There were also 2 Sea Lions in one of the estuaries. Here is a complete list of the birds that we saw: (* is a lifer)

Horned Grebe
Double-crested Cormorant
Great-blue Heron
Canada Goose
Cackling Goose*
Gadwall
Eurasian Wigeon*
American Wigeon
Mallard
Northern Shoveler
Northern Pintail
Green-winged Teal
Ring-necked Duck
Surf Scoter
Bufflehead
Common Goldeneye
Red-breasted Merg.
Common Merg.
Bald Eagle
Red-tailed Hawk
Northern Harrier
Peregrine Falcon
Coot
Greater Yellowlegs
Western Sandpiper
Mew Gull*
Ring-billed Gull
Herring Gull
Thayer's Gull*
Glaucous-winged Gull*
Great-horned Owl
Belted Kingfisher
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Northern Shrike*
"Northwestern Crow"*
Barn Swallow
Black-capped Chickadee
Brown Creeper
Bewick's Wren
Golden-crowned* and Ruby-crowned Kinglets
Myrtle Warbler
Spotted Towhee
White-crowned and Golden-crowned* Sparrows
Purple Finch*

We also saw the usual suspects (Robin, Starling, Song Sparrow, House Finch)

Good birding,
Alex Lin-Moore