[Tweeters] Cascadia Hummingbird Report - 02/14/2005

Mike Patterson celata at pacifier.com
Sun Feb 13 18:54:00 PST 2005

Cascadia Hummingbird Report - 02/14/2005

Several more reports came in from along the coast this week as well as
a report from Merlin in southern Oregon.

Astoria, OR (2)     	02-08-2005	46.1876	123.8362
Lyngstad Heights, OR	02-10-2005	46.1473	123.8441
Nahcotta, WA        	02-11-2005	46.5167	124.0625
Merlin, OR          	02-12-2005	42.5175	123.4186
Florence, OR        	02-12-2005	43.9864	124.1031
Depoe Bay, OR       	02-13-2005	44.6237	123.2830

The first official ALLEN'S HUMMINGBIRD report came from Bandon, OR this
week
(though some earlier _Selasphorus_ reports were probably this species,
as well).

Evaluating early reports is always problematic and the very mild winter
this
year has made things all the more complicated.  Several overwintering
birds
were well documented this season and its hard to tell how many
undocumented
overwintering birds materialize as folks refill their feeders.

I was sent photos of two of tricky birds this week.  The first is from
Nipomo, CA of a bird that first appeared on 1/24 and is still hanging out
there: http://home.pacifier.com/~neawanna/humm/allison2005.jpg
The back indicates adult male, but the throat is clearly still molting
in.
My guess is this bird was overwintering somewhere nearby.

According to Caulder (1996) molt should take place on the wintering grounds.
So any genuine migrant should have adult plumage this time of year.
There
are a couple caveats of course.  The green-backed condition in Rufous
males
is at least partly an artifact of age, though the degree is still debated.
Some individuals may also retain growth striation on there bills into
the
early part of the second year, though not all do and you'd have to have the
bird in hand to see them.

A second bird from Port Orchard, WA
http://home.pacifier.com/~neawanna/humm/miller2005.jpg taken 2/11 is
even
trickier, it could be a female, but the back appears to be red.  If
male,
the throat has not started molting.  I'd like to see a better back shot
and maybe a tail shot before making any firm claims, but this is
probably
also an over-wintering male.

Of course, the problem with these pronouncements is that I'm assuming that
the litmus test for sorting overwintering birds from true migrants is
completed molt cycle and, while I've never caught birds during migration,
still completing molt, I could be wrong.

I have also received a couple of reports which, because they don't contain
enough information and/or come from places too far outside the expected
patterns, are being treated a misidentifications.  Please check the "are
you sure?" link at the website below if there is a chance you may be seeing
the more common (for now) Anna's Hummingbird at your feeder.

For more information on tracking Rufous Hummingbirds see:
http://home.pacifier.com/~neawanna/humm/count.html

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR
celata at pacifier.com

If you want to end war and stuff, you've got to sing loud
                                            - Arlo Guthrie