[Tweeters] Male Anna's Hummingbird Gathering Nesting Material?

Jud Scovill judscovill at comcast.net
Mon Feb 14 07:01:17 PST 2005

Yesterday (2-13-05) I observed a male Anna's Hummingbird at Green Lake in North Seattle pluck fluff from an old cat tail seed head and fly up into a nearby evergreen tree.I assume this was nest-building material/activity because I can't think what else it could be but both Kaufman (Lives of North American Birds) and Sibley (The Sibley Guide to Bird Life and Behavior) state that the nest is built by the female alone. Maybe it was preparations for Valentine's Day.
Jud Scovill
Green Lake neighborhood of North Seattle
judscovill at comcast.net