[Tweeters] The Lesser Black-backed Gull is back!

mike denny m.denny at charter.net
Sun Feb 6 18:03:28 PST 2005

Hello All,
This evening while on a Blue Mountain Audubon Fieldtrip looking at gulls. I located an adult Lesser Black-backed Gull for the sixth consecutive winter on the Walla Walla River delta. The bird was seen by all 12 participants. This bird is possibly the same bird that was first discovered as a third winter bird on 6 Feb.2000 by MerryLynn. There is still some question why this individual is not a Siberian Gull. It looks very much like the slate gray graellsii race and does not have the very dark mantle of the fuscus race. We are concerned as this gull and the flock it travels with frequent the Walla Walla City dump where USDA Wildlife Services continues to shoot gulls because a few folks complained about being pooped on.
Later Mike

Mike & MerryLynn Denny
1354 S. E. Central Ave.
College Place, WA 99324
509.529.0080 (h)

IF YOU HAVEN'T BEEN BIRDING, YOU HAVEN'T LIVED!