[Tweeters] WHITE-TAILED PTARMIGAN

VICJEN BURGETT vicjenb at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 1 16:05:41 PDT 2005

Hello,
yesterday (6-30-05) I found a male WHITE-TAILED
PTARMIGAN 100 meters along the well-named Ptarmigan
Ridge Trail.  Despite the dense, cold, clinging fog I
was able to watch the bird at fairly close range,
feeding on willow shoots or buds.  Took some pictures
which would have been perfect - full frame, etc -
except due to the fog, they look like they were shot
through several layers of thick gauze!  The Ptarmigan
Ridge trail can be reached by hiking a mile or so
section of the Chain Lakes Trail that departs from the
corner of the Artist's Point atop the Mount Baker
Highway. (Two years ago I also saw a female
WHITE-TAILED PTARMIGAN with chicks along this trail in
August).  Artist's Point finally opened yesterday
(thanks to Joe Meche for alerting me to that fact!)
Nobody was on the trail - perhaps due to the awful
weather, which included vigorous bouts of drenching
rain.  The trail still has some rough spots due to
lingering patches of snow - be careful!!!  As to the
Ptarmigan Ridge trail, I was not able to pass more
than the first quarter mile or so before it is blocked
by too dangerous of a snow patch.  Saw very little
else along the trail due to the inclement conditions;
a few AMERICAN PIPITS, one COMMON RAVEN, a few OREGON
JUNCOS, one HOARY MARMOT, and one PIKA.

Victor Burgett, Birch Bay, vicjenb at yahoo.com