[Tweeters] Grant County's Grand Coulee

Doug Schonewald dschone8 at donobi.net
Sun Jul 3 13:27:56 PDT 2005

Hi Tweets,

Yesterday Barb and I spent the early morning hours birding the Soap
Lake/Lake Lenore area in search of early shorebirds. We were slightly
disappointed that our search revealed only a single Western Sandpiper on
Soap Lake and a small flock of unidentified peeps flying across the lake at
long range. However we did find a few interesting highlights worth
mentioning.

American Avocet - 17 individuals on Soap Lake
Red-necked Grebe - A pair nesting at Alkali Lake
Black-necked Stilt - a pair along Moore Road (south end of Blue Lake)
Dusky Flycatcher - what appeared to be a fresh plumage juvenile (breeding
evidence nearby?) at Sun Lakes State Park
Lark Sparrow - Good numbers at both Lake Lenore and Sun Lakes State Park
Loggerhead Shrike - several at Lake Lenore
Burrowing Owl - one at MP 62 on SR-17

By 10:00 the 4th of July crowd descended upon us and we were able to find
little in the way of birds. Still, it was a nice day to be out.

Cheers

Doug & Barb Schonewald
Moses Lake, WA
dschone8 at donobi.net