[Tweeters] Kalaloch weekend report (Jefferson Co.)

Tim O'Brien kertim7179 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 4 19:13:07 PDT 2005

The family and I spent 3 nights at the Kalaloch campground this past weekend. There were lots of gulls to sort through on the beach everyday. I had my first of the season Heerman's Gulls mixed in with lots of Western, Glacous-winged, and a few California Gulls. Also, on Saturday morning only there were about 5 Black-legged Kittiwakes in with the gulls. Caspian Terns were flying up and down the water-line as well.

Out on the Kalaloch Rocks, there was a nice sized group of Brandt's Comorants with about 12 Brown Pelicans on the biggest rock. Interesting thing this morning was that at low tide (about 6am), the only birds to be seen on any of the viewable rocks north and south of Kalaloch were Bald Eagles. Comorants were pretty scarce this morning.

There wasn't much of a shorebird presence on this part of the coast. I only was able to find 3 species which included one single Semipalmated Plover, a single Killdeer was heard, and one single sandpiper was flying around (it didn't really let me have a good look).

Around the campground, the typical birds were present with Swainson's Thrush and Winter Wren song being almost ever present. Crows were a nuisance with their camp scavenging activities.

Happy Fourth!

Tim O'Brien
Elma, WA
mailto: kertim7179 at yahoo.com