[Tweeters] Partly leucistic Red-winged Blackbird

Kristi Hein khc at picturesandwords.com
Sat Jul 9 10:45:55 PDT 2005

Hello,

On July 6 in Anacortes, at the 32nd Street swamp (one block west of B
Avenue), there was a partly leucistic male Red-winged Blackbird. At first
glance, the black head and breast and white belly suggested a Spotted
Towhee, but his bill, behavior, red epaulets, and song were definitive.
Head, back, breast, and top of tail were pure black; belly, flanks, and
entire undertail coverts and under tail feathers were pure white. There was
some white flecking on the wings, and a thin white band around the back of
the neck.

In a web search I found photos of a similarly colored male taken by Ruth
Sullivan in Olympia in 2000. The bird I saw had more extensive and pure
white.
(photo at http://www.wos.org/WNComp69.htm#CUSA)

Good birding,

Kristi Hein