[Tweeters] Re House Wrens @ Misery Trailhead

Steve Ellis sellis at coup.wednet.edu
Sat Jul 9 14:42:55 PDT 2005

We found the same birds last week and were equally shocked. We also found
them in a couple of other high spots including a pair using a nest box near
the Teal Springs Campground. I assume the box was  meant for Mt. Bluebirds
which were using the next one in line. Isn't it unusual to have House Wrens
nesting so high?
  We recorded only 1 nutcracker during our entire stay in the Blues, a bird
seen over an old burn area. Are they common in the Blues? At that site,
while trying to find woodpeckers ( only found flickers), we could hear an
old stump down in a ravine being ripped apart no doubt by a bear.
   It was our 1st trip ever to the Blues. If you haven't been you're missing
some great birding!
Steve Ellis
sellis at coup.wednet.edu