[Tweeters] Takh Takh BBWO Report

Rolan Nelson rnbuffle at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 10 18:04:35 PDT 2005

Greetings!  (BBWO = Black-backed Woodpecker)

Using my wife as a good luck charm on twitches usually does the trick, but this time we came up empty.  We pretty much expected it after the late reports on the nest being abandoned,  but I had to see for myself, and besides, I was being nagged by the thought that we birders were somehow responsible.

I can now report that it probably wasn't birders, but I'm willing to bet it was people (and their dogs).  This is NOT a criticism of dog ownership, or of taking your pooch on a hike,  It's just that during the 2 1/2 hours we spent at the site, there were dozens of hikers and their dogs milling about the immediate area, and no one, except us, was wearing any bins.

Small consolation, I know, but I feel relieved just that same.  I for one would not like to see this kind of spotting report withheld from Tweeters for fear that it would endanger a nest.  We CAN do a good job of policing ourselves.

There, I'm off my soapbox.

-Rolan

Rolan Nelson
Fircrest, WA