[Tweeters] Re: [inland-NW-birders]Eurasian Collared-Dove Grant County

Hill hill at smwireless.net
Sun Jul 10 20:35:34 PDT 2005

The Collared-Dove was seen and heard at a private residence just south of
Warden HS, east of Road U SE on Road 9. After hearing this dove call
continually I think the Columbia NWR record of 6/14 should be withdrawn.
While today's bird often gave an upper-inflected "falsetto" second note, the
first and third notes were much too mellow compared to the CNWR bird, which
was likely a Mourning Dove doing a 3-note low-high-low call.

I spoke with the occupant of the house. She asked if I was monitoring the
burrowing owls in the field between her house and the high school (which I
was, but most of those owls have left already). She seemed OK with a few
birders driving down the road to her place, but you should stop in and ask
for permission to park or bird in her yard as I believe the public road ends
elsewhere.

Randy Hill
Othello