[Tweeters] Boeing Ponds, Shorebirds-many, Exotics-one

Kathy Andrich chukarbird at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 13 09:18:02 PDT 2005

Hi Tweeters and Carol,

I did a solo trip to Boeing Ponds last night and am
happy to report I was able to access them without
being asked to leave by Boeing security.

While I was there a beautiful and huge Black Swan flew
in. That was an interesting bird to see there. No
bands, but must be an escapee.

Dozens of Long-billed Dowitchers. I would guess 40
minimum, probably many more. They are a beautiful
rufous coloration right now that won't last. A good
showing of Lesser Yellowlegs, some giving a prolonged
call. Some Greater Yellowlegs. Least Sandpipers here
and there and everywhere. Kildeer and Spotted
Sandpipers too.

Immature and or downy fledglings included 3 Spotted
Sandpipers, one Green Heron, one Savana Sparrow, 4
Barn Swallows, several Canada Geese. The other
notable bird was a Mourning Dove that got bumped by a
Belted Kingfisher off it's perch.

In the am I did a quick run by of Thomas Wetlands and
saw about 6 Long-billed Dowitchers, one with an
obviously very long bill. One Greater Yellowlegs. Two
Coyotes, one brown and one gray. I thought of the
Coyotes during the day when work was just not as
fulfilling as I would like it be...

Roosting S King County

Do You Yahoo!?