[Tweeters] RFI : Unknown nocturnal Bird call, Renton

Guy McWethy lguy_mcw at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 12 22:38:50 PDT 2005

Tweets,
Thanks for all the responses!   I've had lots of
guesses, but unfortunately, the questions remain.
I think I can rule out Nighthawk, Yellow-breasted
Chat, Starling, Spotted Towhee, or most any other
diurnal bird.  This thing seems to be purely
nocturnal.  I am leaning towards a juvenile owl of
some kind, possibly a Barred.  But I have not found
many recordings of juvenile owls to campare to.

Right now (10:30, Tuesday night), I am once again
listening to the local Great-horned Owls.   There are
at least 3, maybe 4 of them, screeching and hollering
at each other from the tree tops.  These owls are not
really responding to the GHOwl recordings I've played
back, or any other owl calls.  But I can see them in
silohuete against the sky, and can see their 'ears'.
And they are HUGE !!!

These calls do NOT match what I heard last night, or
several nights ago.  Although one of the birds does
seem to have a 'higher' pitch to its voice than the
others, and seems to sound something like what I heard
last night.   But the one last night was definitely
alone.  Tonight, this is NOT the case.

But I expect that if there is anything else out there
in the night, it will probably stay hunkered down
undercover with all these GH Owls carrying on.

I will keep you posted if my mystery bird re-appears
and if I can figure it out.

Thanks!
Guy

> Subject: [Tweeters] RFI : Unknown nocturnal Bird
> call, Renton
>

> Tweets,
> I've been hearing a bird call the last week or so
> that
> I can not ID.
> The earliest I've heard it is about 9:45 PM, and as
> late as 3-4 in the AM.  Always after sunset, usually
> at full dark.  It seems to be hanging around in the
> large Cedar trees in the neighborhood.
> It was a high pitched " Speeearr", kinda like a
> flycatcher on steroids.  Not like any owl call I've
> heard.  It repeats fairly regularly, maybe every
> 10-30
> seconds, only a single call at a time.
> Suggestions?
> Thanks!
> Guy
>
> Guy McWethy
> Renton, WA
> mailto: lguy_mcw at yahoo.com

> Yahoo! Mail for Mobile
> Take Yahoo! Mail with you! Check email on your
> mobile phone.
> http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail

Guy McWethy
Renton, WA