[Tweeters] Four Letter Codes

sgmlod at aol.com sgmlod at aol.com
Wed Jul 13 08:10:26 PDT 2005

Greetings All

I thought 4 letter codes were banned by the FCC; didn't Howard Stern get fined for using them?

I try to mention the species name in full first (though note, I felt Eur Collared Dove transmitted the idea of Eurasian Collared-Dove adequately in my recent post) and then use a four letter code (or in the case of collared doves, gasp, ECD) later. Yes, I'm doing this because it's convenient for me. Yes, that's selfish. On the other hand, I could just not post at all, as some I know have chosen to do.

Long lists of four letter codes are tedious. So are long list of boring common birds from expected places -- to me anyway. I use that great key entitled DELETE when I encounter such.

So for all those who find 4 letter codes offensive, you've got that wonderful button at your disposal (and for Stern and the like, there's that dial on the radio).

God I love rehashing this every summer. Almost as fine a tradition as the All-Star Game and hot dogs.

Best Wishes
Steven Mlodinow (STML)
Everett, WA (WA= Washington)