[Tweeters] Cliff Swallow Nest Abandonment

Joy Markgraf joymarkgraf at gorge.net
Wed Jul 13 13:16:01 PDT 2005

Hi Steve and All:

Close to fifteen years ago we had swallows that built mud nests under
the eaves of our house. For several years they nested there but then
one year (?)
I began getting horrible bites from some bugs at night. The areas on my
skin that had been bitten became extremely painful and swollen. I
searched the room for the culprits and found one on the wall that
resembled a bed bug. More searching located many on the OUTSIDE of the
window screen above my bed. So I searched the outside of the house and
found hoards of these creatures around the swallow nests! The tiny
swallow nestling's were covered with them. That year the swallows left
and have never returned. I scrubbed down the house and have never had
these bugs again. Maybe the farmer should look more closely at the
nests for bugs.

Joy Stickney-Markgraf
near White Salmon WA
email: joymarkgraf at gorge.net