[Tweeters] Ancient Murrelet in Central Puget Sound

Brad Waggoner wagtail at sounddsl.com
Sat Jul 16 12:54:01 PDT 2005

Hello Tweets,

 I was out in my boat this morning  and I came across a lone adult Ancient
Murrelet about 1/2 mile northeast of  Vashon Island. . I was really quite
amazed to see this particular alcid species at this time of year. A quick
look at Birds of Washington listed a July 18, 1993 record for Whidbey
Island. Add it to the list of ocean birds that seem to be "out-of place"
this summer.

Red-necked Phalaropes have returned to the Sound as there were about 20 off
of Restoration Point, Bainbridge Island and another dozen near Vashon
Island.  Black Turnstones (105) and Surfbirds (24) have returned to Blakely
Rock off of Bainbridge Island. A lone Short-billed Dowitcher and an
alternate plumage Sanderling on the "rock" were also interesting. Bainbridge
Island is not really the "shorebird hotspot",  but with a highlight adult
Semipalmated Sandpiper seen on Wednesday, I am up to 10 species of
shorebirds for the week!

The visiting relatives from Illinois were a little disappointed with the
dismal salmon fishing, but at least I was able to see some interesting
birds.

Brad Waggoner
Bainbridge Island, WA
mailto:wagtail at sounddsl.com