[Tweeters] Bonaparte's Gull - Stump Lake (Mason Co.)

Tim O'Brien kertim7179 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 17 13:02:37 PDT 2005

This early morning, I drove out to Stump Lake (Delorme pg. 61, D-6) in southern Mason county to explore the area for the first time.  The lake is accessed off Cloquallam road on a Green Diamond Resource Group logging road which is open to allow fishing access.  I was surprised to find a single breeding plumaged Bonaparte's Gull swimming on the lake.  This is the first time I have seen one in breeding plumage so it was pretty exciting seeing the full black head.  Looking at info about Bonaparte's it seems they favor sheltered lakes so I'm guessing this just may be a typical sighting.

Other birds seen or heard around the lake include: Wood Duck, Belted Kingfisher, and Olive-sided Flycatcher.

Another productive stop was at the end of Bulb Farm Rd., where I heard a singing Hammond's Flycatcher and Townsend's Warbler.

Good birding,

Tim O'Brien
Elma, WA
mailto: kertim7179 at yahoo.com