[Tweeters] South Bainbridge Island

newboldwildlife at netscape.net newboldwildlife at netscape.net
Sun Jul 17 22:07:23 PDT 2005

Hi all,
Delia & I birded Fort Ward State Park on South Bainbridge Island along with a very birdy and beautiful property close to the park that contained a defunct water reservoir, (conservation status of this land is not known to us) as well as the rapidly urbanizing neighborhood near the Park on Friday evening and Sat morning.  This produced, along with the above run-on sentence, the following list:

1.  Pelagic Cormorant
2.  Double Crested Cormorant
3.  Pigeon Guillemot
4.  Belted Kingfisher
5.  Rock Pigeon
6.  Band Tailed Pigeon (3)
7.  Great Blue Heron
8.  Caspian Tern (1)
9.  Glaucous Winged Gull
10. Spotted Sandpiper (maybe 5, reproduction happens!)
11. Least Sandpiper (about 12)
12. Killdeer
13. Rufous Hummingbird
14. Downy Woodpecker
15. Northern Flicker
16. COMMON NIGHTHAWK  (Only one for sure, vocalizing a lot, but seemingly headed south)
17. Pacific Slope Flycatcher (many at Fort Ward)
18. Willow Flycatcher
19. Stellar’s Jay
20. American Crow
21. Cedar Waxwing (many)
22. Bushtit
23. Black Capped Chickadee
24. Chestnut Backed Chickadee
25. Golden Crowned Kinglet
26. Red Breasted Nuthatch
27. Bewick’s Wren
28. Winter Wren
29. Swainson’s Thrush
30. American Robin
31. PURPLE MARTIN  (1 ad. Male)
32. Barn Swallow
33. Violet Green Swallow (densities of Barn & Violet Green Swallows over there made me “green” with envy.  I hope they don’t erode, like they have in Seattle over the past 20 years.)
34. Rough Winged Swallow
35. Hutton’s Vireo (2)
36. Black Throated Gray Warbler (at Ft. Ward)
37. Orange Crowned Warbler
38. Wilson’s Warbler
39. Common Yellowthroat
40. Black Headed Grosbeak  (lots of young birds!)
41. Spotted Towhee
42. American Goldfinch
43. Pine Siskin (not many)
44. Purple Finch  (several singing in the neighborhood)
45. House Finch
46. Song Sparrow
47. Brown Headed Cowbird (a typically uneducated fledgling that barely moved out of our way)

On the Way back on the ferry we saw
Pigeon Guillemot
Common Murres (12)
Rhinocerous Auklet
Harlequin Duck  pair

In other news the YardBirdRace is still wide open and there are several hundred towns and areas that have fielded no entrant yet.  Email your current 2005 yard list (all birds seen or heard from yard) to Yardbirdrace at Yahoo.com.  Win Prizes! To check the leaderboard, go to www.ednewbold.com and then click on YardBirdRace.

Ed Newbold  newboldwildlife at netscape.net  residential Beacon Hill, where a Squirrel got our Robin’s nest but the Barn Swallows are going for their second brood and the 3 Violet Green babies are gone all day but still spending the night--but in a different nestbox than the one they grew up in.

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.