[Tweeters] Colockum Rd and Taneum/Manastash Ridge last Saturday

Stefan Schlick greenfant at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 18 14:25:15 PDT 2005

After checking for the Eurasian Collared-Dove early Saturday morning (we
dipped; it was superwindy)Mike Fleming and I took a trip up Colockum Rd
north of Kittitas. Highlights were a LONG-EARED OWL perched low in a shrubby
area about 1mi beyond the last house (on your right hand side on your way up
the canyon) and a few RED CROSSBILLS in the area where the powerlines cross
for the first time. We decided to turn around at that point since the road
got very rocky. Overall, the area was pretty birdy though with good numbers
of Black-headed Grosbeaks, Cassin's Finches, a single White-breasted
Nuthatch and your usual suspects. Young birds were all over the place.

In the early afternoon, we drove up Manastash Rd (FR33) east of Ellensburg.
About 2mi west of South Riggs Canyon Rd. we had a GRAY CATBIRD in a riparian
area with willows. We then proceeded up the Taneum Ridge. The best birds
were a female BLUE GROUSE with 5 young on a 2-track down the southern end of
the logged over area at Gnat Flat. We could not find any Williamson's
Sapsucker, yet had a plenty of Hairies and Red-napeds. Otherwise, there were
lots of Townsend's and Audubon's Warblers, Hermit Thrushes, a Cassin's Vireo
and a Nashville Warbler at a productive stop just above Gooseberry Flat. At
other stops we added Pacific-slope and Hammond's Flycatcher, all 3
chickadees and Mountain Bluebirds.

Stefan Schlick
Bellevue, WA