[Tweeters] purple martins at Roche Harbor

mike collins mikecollins71 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 26 21:22:16 PDT 2005

While out on the docks at Roche Harbor today, I saw and heard 3 purple
martins flying above the marina and perching on the top of a sailboat mast.
Their calls gave them away as we walked down the docks in the midday sun.
These are the first martins I've seen in the islands.  I've read that they
might still be nesting in natural cavities around Mt. Dallas on San Juan
Island.  I also wonder whether the martin boxes in Reid Harbor of Stuart
Island have been used recently.  Anyone know?