[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 7/28/08

Scrubjay323 at aol.com Scrubjay323 at aol.com
Thu Jul 28 17:41:28 PDT 2005

Tweets,

Seven of us walked Nisqually NWR this morning on a warm, breezy, sunshiny
day. Some of the fields have been mowed and the water levels are way down. There
 are lots of juvenile bird about, so that really confounds identity issues.

Best birds of the day were an AMERICAN BITTERN near the only bit of water  on
the left by the willows on the way out to McAllister Creek, and a male
NORTHERN HARRIER out near McAllister Creek. The harrier is the first one we've
seen since May 12th.

We also saw both YELLOWLEGS and a small flock of WESTERN SANDPIPERS in what
is left of the last pond on the right near McAllister Creek. It is quickly
becoming a mud flat.

The most common duck (and there were few) was WOOD DUCKS. We saw at least  20
or so as well as a couple of MALLARDS and 3 COMMON MERGANSERS on the
Nisqually River.

Yesterday I went down to Luhr Beach and looked across McAllister Creek and
saw the LONG-BILLED CURLEW on the flats outside the refuge. I don't think it
can  be seen from the outer dike trail, but who knows. No reports in the visitor
 center.

Total species for the day 43. New for the year were LESSER YELLOWLEGS and
MACGILLIVRAY'S WARBLER, giving us 129 species for the year.

Next week we will walk the full loop. Let's hope the CURLEW hangs around,  or
others of his ilk stop by for a visit.

Until then....
Mammals seen today include EASTERN GRAY SQUIRREL and MINK.

Phil  Kelley
Lacey, WA
360-459-1499
scrubjay323 at aol.com

"We were few  and they were many. Now we are many and they are  few."
Confucius