[Tweeters] Paradise, Mt Rainer

n3zims at comcast.net n3zims at comcast.net
Sat Jul 30 22:01:06 PDT 2005

I led a field trip for Seattle Audubon to Paradise at Mt Rainer today. Perfect weather and a group that any leader would love to have. We went up to Panorama Point. We took the Skyline Trail that heads to the Nisqually Glacier. On the way we saw a Hermit Thrush, Yellow-rumped, Orange-crowned and Townsend's Warblers. Lot of Juncos. Just before the point we had two Gray-crowned Rosy Finches feeding in some trees with some Pine Siskins, Red-breasted Nuthatches and another Orange-crowned Warbler. After taking in the great view at Panorama Point, we headed around to the east side of the snow field just east of the point. In the rocks, next to the snow field, we hear and could see juvenile Rosy Finches begging for food. We could see what looked like the nests in a vertical crack right where the birds were. The adults were flying in and out feeding the youngsters. We also saw two Townsend's Soltaires up in the rocks. The reason we went to that spot in the first place was to look fo!
 r ptarmigan. We found an adult male among the rocks in a green, wet area. On the way down to the parking area, we ran across a group of American Pipits, adults and juveniles. No raptors today though.