[Tweeters] How I Spent My Summer Vac

E.L. Radke chatonbirds at yahoo.ca
Sun Jul 31 17:30:00 PDT 2005

Interesting vacation - another birding trip to Washington state and to California - just a couple of thanks.  I just love Wash state and was warmly welcomed by the Yakima Aud. on one of their trips that I dropped into, as part of a tour of Grant Cty.  I espec. enjoyed seeing a 'Chat' as Edmonton is too far north for this warbler.  Also thanks to Viking Cruises in La Conner - fun and informative tour.  It's always nice for someone from the plains to see ocean spec.  All said - since I travel by bus - I got about 85 spec. in a week.

Continuing to California - June was not the best month for Monterey, Carmel and the wine valley.  75 spec.  Best places though were Point Lobos by Carmel - a total must-see.  There were islands for the Corms - Brant's that were so close to the trail that you could smell them!  Watching the interaction with the young as well as a BC Night heron with young - as clsoe as 25 ft. was great - even is you think you have seen too many corms.  Another great place is the bird banding station at Andrew Molera Park near Carmel - saw my 1st White-tail kite plus Hutton's vireo, Nuttalls wp and Lesser goldf in hand.  Riparian and chapperal habitat - orno lab was accomodating and welcoming.  Did not get the Condors but here's a hint - they hang around Pfeiffer Big Sur Park south.  Elkhorn Slough (the infamous) by Monterey was in 'low season' - it was also next to a big ugly Power Plant.  I did meet a volunteer who took me onto Potrero beach area to see a Snowy plover.  Also Garland Ranch pa!
 rk in
 Carmel highlands - for chapperal.

Claire R.
Edmonton, Alberta