[Tweeters] Least Flycatcher in Hardy Canyon, Wenas

Denny Granstrand dgranstrand at charter.net
Sun Jun 5 22:36:21 PDT 2005

Hi Tweeters,

As reported by Patrick and Ruth Sullivan last week, they found a Least
Flycatcher building a nest in an aspen grove north of Hardy Canyon in the
Wenas, Yakima County.  John Hebert checked it out in the middle of this
past week and found the nest had been destroyed.

John and I stopped by there Saturday afternoon and bumped into Patrick and
Ruth, who were just leaving, but graciously turned around and showed us the
new nest a pair of Least Flycatchers were building.  They were working
feverishly on the nest and barely rested from their labors during the time
John and I were there.
I got one good photo of one of the LEFL sitting on its nest.

This morning I went up there again, trying for a better photo.  I was
surprised to find the new nest had also been destroyed.  There was a little
rain in our area last night but not enough to have destroyed the nest.  The
Least Flycatchers did not appear to be working on a new nest, though they
still didn't sit still except when they were high in the aspens.

The photo of the Least Flycatcher on the nest is in the new photos folder
on my website, along with photos from this weekend of Spotted Owls,
Brewer's Sparrow, Vesper Sparrow, Willow Flycatcher and a juvenile House Wren.

Denny Granstrand
Yakima, WA

                  * Denny Granstrand *
                      * Yakima, WA *
             * dgranstrand at charter.net *
* Denny's bird photos can be seen online at: *
            http://granstrand.net/gallery/