[Tweeters] Northrup Canyon nesting Warbling Vireo

Bill and Nancy LaFramboise wlafra at owt.com
Thu Jun 9 14:13:24 PDT 2005

Birders,

Jack & Murrel Dawson and I enjoyed a walk up part of Northrup Canyon
yesterday, June 8.  Northrup Canyon is near Steamboat Rock on Banks Lake in
Grant county.  White-throated Swifts were abundant and vocal.  It appeared
that most migrants had already gone through.  Lazuli Buntings were singing
as were Western Wood-Pewees and Olive-sided Flycatchers.  At least one
Yellow-breasted Chat, some Bullock's Orioles and Black-headed Grosbeaks,
and a few House Wrens added to the chorus.

Most interesting was a Warbling Vireo (WAVI) nest.  We heard the bird for
quite awhile without detecting any movement.  Jack finally spotted a nest
with a tail sticking up out of it.  The singing continued.  We finally
concluded the bird was singing from the nest.

The nest was similar to drawings found in Nests, Eggs, and Nestlings of
North American Birds.  It was similar to an oriole's nest in
texture/construction materials but much less elongated, more cup
shaped.  Checking the Birds of North America monograph this morning
confirmed that WAVI's are known to sing from their nests.  So, why would a
bird sing from a nest?  It seems pretty counterintuitive.

Checking the Breeding Birds of Washington State from the Gap Analysis, maps
show no indication of prior WAVI nesting documentation in Grant county.

Nancy

Bill & Nancy LaFramboise
wlafra at owt.com
Richland, WA