[Tweeters] SIX Woodpecker Day!

Rolan Nelson rnbuffle at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 11 20:55:30 PDT 2005

Dear Tweeters,

With apologies to D. Y-Q, our group of Tahoma Auduboners completed a loop of Mt. Rainier today with a very satisifying six local woodpeckers.  FLICKERS and RED NAPED SAPSUCKERS were seen at Wild Rose Campground east of Rimrock on Highway 12, and LEWIS'S WOODPECKER was added at Oak Creek.  We then climbed up to the Mud Lake Burn and located several HAIRY WOODPECKERS, three WHITE HEADED WOODPECKERS, and one BLACK BACKED WOODPECKER.  Along the way we watched a PRAIRIE FALCON attempt to nail a squirrel who was sunning itself on a rock,  two middle-of-the-day NIGHTHAWKS,  several NASHVILLE WARBLERS, and a pair of BULLOCK'S ORIOLES doing some nest building.  Did I mention the LAZULI BUNTINGS?...the BLUE GROUSE?

It was a fun day!

-Rolan

Rolan Nelson
Fircrest, WA