[Tweeters] Yakima Co. birding and beyond

Ruth and/or Patrick Sullivan godwit at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jun 11 22:21:01 PDT 2005

Hello Tweets and NW Inlanders,

My mother and I spent 3 days(June 9th-11th)in Yakima Co.between Hardy Canyon to the Cliffdell area along Hwy.410 within the Wenatchee National Forest. The latter area extending into the southern border of Kittitas Co.,where several noteworthy species were encountered. The weather was quite good during the entire 3 days with rain showers encountered on our way home along Hwy.12 at White Pass to the Elbe area. Our main highlight of the trip was locating up to 4 Least Flycatchers at lower Hardy Canyon,of which we observed the nesting pair on the 9th that are still in the process of building a new nest within the same riparian thicket as previously posted. A return visit to the exact location this morning revealed the nesting pair of Least Flycatchers,as well as 2 singing birds within the same thicket! This was a totally unexpected sighting for us and we suspect that the singing birds could move on since we didn't encounter them on the 9th. Whatever the case we hope the nesting pair will construct a stronger nest and continuing the nesting process. Our other highlight of the trip was a very late adult Tundra Swan at Wenas Lake on the 9th,which was not observed upon checking the location this morning and it could have moved on due to the fishing derby there today. Highlights noted on separate days further west in the Cliffdell area consisted of an adult Northern Goshawk, a pair of adult Spotted Owls and a single Northern Pygmy Owl. Good densities of nesting songbirds were especially noteworthy in appropriate habitat in the Cliffdell area including Hammond's Flycatcher,Cassin's Vireo, Townsend's Warblers,MacGillivray's Warblers,Western Tanagers,Chipping Sparrows and Cassin's Finches. We managed to visit several new areas to us along the Hwy.410 corridor,of which offer more discovery and most of these areas were mentioned in Hal Opperman's "A Birder's Guide to Washington". A list of additional highlights encountered during our trip included the following:

Common Loon
1 along Hwy.12 at the east end of Rimrock Lake on the 9th

Western Grebe(noteworthy location for date)
4 along Hwy.12 at the west end of Rimrock Lake on the 9th

Ring-necked Duck
6(with 1 Lesser Scaup)at Wenas Lake on the 9th

Turkey Vulture
5 along Hwy.12 just south of the Oak Creek Wildlife Area on the 9th
2 over Black Canyon on the 9th
5 along Hwy.410 west of Naches on the 9th
4 along FR 1708(Milk Creek Rd.),Kittitas Co.on the 9th-11th
3 over Mud Lake on the 10th
3 along Hwy.410 east of Cliffdell on the 10th
18 along Wenas Rd. on the 11th
4 along FR1000 near Rimrock Lake on the 11th
4 along Hwy.12 east of Packwood,Lewis Co. on the 11th
2 along Hwy,12 at Randle,Lewis Co. on the 11th

Osprey
1 pair at Wenas Lake on the 9th
1 along FR 1000 near Rimrock Lake on the 11th

Cooper's hawk
1 along FR 1708 near Cliffdell on the 9th

Golden Eagle
1 along Hwy.12 at the Oak Creek WA on the 9th
1 along Hwy.410 west of Naches on the 9th

Common Nighthawk(noteworthy count)
45+ in burned areas above Mud Lake on the 10th

Lewis' Woodpecker
5-6 birds along Hwy.12 at the Oak Creek WA on the 9th and 11th

Williamson's Sapsucker
1 along FR 1708 near Cliffdell on the 10th

White-headed Woodpecker
2 in burned areas above Mud Lake on the 10th

Pileated Woodpecker
2 along FR 1708 near Cliffdell on the 10th and 11th

Gray Flycatcher
6 in burned areas above Mud Lake on the 10th

Gray Jay
4 along FR 1708 near Cliffdell on the 11th

Clark's Nutcracker
2 in burned areas above Mud Lake on the 10th

Chestnut-backed Chickadee
small numbers noted with Mountain Chickadees along FR 1708 near Cliffdell on the 9th and 11th

White-breasted Nuthatch
1 in burned areas above Mud Lake on the 10th

Townsend's Solitaire
5 in burned areas above Mud lake on the 10th

Veery
1 along the lower portion of FR 1708 near Cliffdell on the 10th
6 along Hwy.12 at the Wild Rose Campground on the 11th

Swainson's Thrush(noteworthy date for location)
1 at lower Hardy Canyon on the 9th

Gray Catbird
5 at lower Hardy Canyon on the 9th and 11th
2 along Hwy.410(Naches River)on the 10th

Loggerhead Shrike
5 along Wenas Rd. between Naches and Wenas Lake on the 9th

Yellow-breasted Chat
3-4 birds at lower Hardy Canyon on the 9th and 11th

Lazuli Bunting
1 along Hwy.12 east of Randle,Lewis Co. on the 9th
3 near Mud Lake on the 10th
2 along Hw.12 at the Wild Rose Campground on the 11th

Lark Sparrow
1 above Mud Lake on the 10th

Lincoln's Sparrow
1 along FR 1708 at Milk Pond on the 10th

Mammal highlights of the trip included the following:

2 Snowshoe Hares along FR 1708 near Cliffdell on the 10th
27 Bighorn Sheep below Mud Lake on the 10th
15 Roosevelt Elk along FR 1708 near Milk Pond on the 11th

Dragonfly species of note during the trip consisted of the following:

Pacific Forktail
Tule Bluet
Vivid Dancer
Blue-eyed Darner