[Tweeters] Hamm Creek - 6-25-2005

Desilvis, Denis J denis.j.desilvis at boeing.com
Mon Jun 27 07:53:24 PDT 2005

Saturday mid-morning, I accompanied a group of architects (and families
in some cases) from the local American Institute of Architects (AIA)
Seattle Diversity Roundtable as they toured the Hamm Creek restoration
area along the Duwamish River for their annual Summer Solstice
Procession. (Hamm Creek is across the river from the Museum of Flight in
Seattle/Tukwila, south of Delta Marine, along W. Marginal Way South,
which parallels highway 99.) Despite some early mist, the day turned out
just fine, with a slight southerly breeze, cloudy skies, and quite a few
birds (32 species) active.

In addition to both adult Ospreys, we saw two young poking their heads
up above the edge of the nest. John Beal mentioned that one egg didn't

A WILLOW FLYCATCHER, the first I'd seen or heard in this area, was
singing and foraging along the north side of the restoration area, next
to Hamm Creek proper. When I took a quick walk-around about 7:30, the
flycatcher was singing from a small dead tree at the extreme northeast
corner of the area. It was displaced by a CEDAR WAXWING (many here),
which was displaced by a GREEN HERON, which was chased away by a very
aggressive RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD, all in the space of about 3 minutes.

A MALLARD with five very small (less than two-weeks old) ducklings moved
up Hamm Creek from the mouth of the stream. A single male YELLOW WARBLER
foraged and sang along the willows that line the creek at the west side
of the site.

The species with the highest number of individuals appeared to be the
SAVANNAH SPARROW. Many adults, fledged young, singing males, etc., were
in the grasslands that constitute the bulk of the area.

Birds seen during the Hamm Creek morning include the following:
Canada Goose
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Green Heron
Red-tailed Hawk
Glaucous-winged Gull
Rock Pigeon
Rufous Hummingbird (? Probably - it was a juv. bird of which I didn't
get a very good view)
Belted Kingfisher
Northern Flicker (juv.)
Willow Flycatcher