[Tweeters] Small owls

bboek at olympus.net bboek at olympus.net
Mon Mar 7 22:26:25 PST 2005

To add to the small owl discussion:

Last Saturday/Sunday night (3/5-6) we had one of our Owl Prowl in the
Olympics field trips from the Dungeness River Audubon Center.  The
route goes up Jimmycomelately Creek, over the shoulder of Mt Zion, and
back down the Dungeness River watershed towards Sequim.

We found two separate W. Screech Owls, both giving a few series of nice
toots.  We found five different Saw-whets, including a couple at
midnight along Forest Service Rd 28 that wouldn't shut up, still
tooting as we drove away.  Curiously, we heard no responses from either
Great Horned or Barred Owls, even though we tried at several places
where they've been before.

When I returned home to Sequim at 1 a.m. I couldn't resist another
quiet toot from my driveway near the Dungeness River.  To my delight a
Screech Owl flew right out of the riparian forest to toot several times
from a little fir next to my driveway, a very pleasant greeting.

So there are still at least a few W. Screech Owls on the NE corner of
the Olympic Peninsula.

Also, the Olympic Peninsula BirdFest scheduled for April 1 - 3 includes
an Owl Prowl, if anyone is interested.  The Owl Prowl will occur right
after the banquet on Sat. night, Apr. 2nd (the banquet is a special
salmon dinner at the new Jamestown S'Klallam Tribe Community Center!).
We have a limit of 10 people on the Owl Prowl field trip, so it may
fill up early.  We have all sorts of other great field trips scheduled
around the north Olympic Peninsula during the festival, to welcome new
spring migrants and winter holdovers.   Olympic Peninsula Audubon
Society is the prime sponsor of the festival, with all proceeds going
to support the Dungeness River Audubon Center (a very worthwhile
cause!)  Check out www.olympicbirdfest.org for festival information and
registration.

Bob Boekelheide
Sequim