[Tweeters] Re: Mountain Quail releases

Jason Rogers hawkowl at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 17 18:30:41 PST 2005

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for providing the details of this release.  When I first heard of it,
I wondered about where the parent stock originated and whether it was
native, since fish and wildlife agencies are renowned for their lack of
interest in preserving biodiversity.  After all, who can taste the
difference between pictus and palmeri, right?  Your message confirmed what I
had feared: the "reintroduction" was, in fact, an introduction.  I don't
know whether the decision to release non-native quail was based on politics,
financial constraints, indifference, or just plain know-it-allism, but I do
know that it's long since time that we get the people who are making these
kinds of decisions out of fish and wildlife and into a line of work where
they're not doing irreparable damage to our natural heritage.

Regards,
Jason Rogers
Banff, AB
hawkowl at hotmail.com