[Tweeters] First Osprey of the year near Elma (Grays Harbor Co.)

Tim O'Brien kertim7179 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 27 16:34:06 PST 2005

This Easter morning I took a drive around the Brady Loop complex and along Wenzel Slough Rd.. with the hope of finding either Osprey or Sandhill Cranes.  No cranes yet, but I did find one Osprey on the nest stag located inside the Chehalis Wildlife area.  I viewed it from Wenzel Slough Rd. at the hunter registration sign.  Last year, I have the first sighting of this same Osprey (I'm assuming) as March 28.

Also, I found at least 2 Evening Grosbeaks at a feeder along Monte-Brady Rd..  I also heard Savannah Sparrows and White-crowned Sparrows singing in different locations around Brady Loop.  In the corn-stubble field near the intersection of Brady Loop Rd. and Foster Rd., there were about 75 Dunlin, 15 Black-bellied Plover, and 5 Greater Yellowlegs.  There were a few Dunlin and BBPL getting quite close to breeding plumage.

At my brother's residence is south Thurston county near Tenino this early afternoon, I saw more Evening Grosbeaks and one lone Gray Jay.  Not to mention lots of bunnies running around!

Good birding,

Tim O'Brien
Elma, WA
mailto: kertim7179 at yahoo.com