[Tweeters] Marymoor Park Report (Redmond, King Co., WA) 2005-11-02

Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at verizon.net
Wed Nov 2 14:09:33 PST 2005

Tweets - There were eleven of us, all told, though most of the morning we
were fewer.  The weather was surprizingly good; we had a few moments of
mist, but mostly there was a touch of blue to the sky through the gray, and
only occasionally did the chill breezes blow.  And there were birds:

Greater White-fronted Goose  1 with Canadas in Lot M
Cackling Goose                       1 with CANGs and the GWFG
Wood Duck                              Drake flew up the slough
Bonaparte's Gull                      1 on east ballfields early
OSPREY                                 Flying S over model airplane field
Merlin                                     2 sightings, one near Dog Central
SHORT-EARED OWL           Matt had 1 early over the East Meadow
Townsend's Warbler               1 near park office
SWAMP SPARROW             1 at Rowing Club natural pond
White-throated Sparrow         At least 2, maybe 3 birds

Yesterday, in those same east-end ball fields where I had one this morning,
I had SIXTEEN BONAPARTE'S GULLS.

The SWAMP SPARROW looked pretty much like drawing 43A in the
non-photographic Rising and Beadle sparrow book, a "first-winter" bird.
Matt and I are not at all certain that it is the same individual that we saw
(in the exact same spot) three weeks ago.  We are sure, however, that there
have been at least 2 SWSP at Marymoor this fall, and maybe as many as 4
individual birds (we've had 4 sightings, at three different locations).

Christy had WHITE-THROATED SPARROW a bit below the weir before 7:30.  We had
one, quite possibly the same bird, (a white-stripe), near the first dog swim
area   We had a definite second bird, a tan-stripe, near the start of the
boardwalk.  This could be the same bird we had near the other end of the
boardwalk last week.  We had a fourth sighting, probably the third bird for
the day, at the Compost Piles.

Monday, there was a NORTHERN HARRIER over the model airplane field.  We also
had a Downy Woodpecker Monday, a bird we missed today.

For the day, 61 species, with 63 so far for the week.

== Michael Hobbs
== Kirkland, WA
== http://www.scn.org/fomp/birding.htm
== birdmarymoor at verizon.net