[Tweeters] an old name for Snow Bunting...."Snowflake"

Mark Vernon ma_vern at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 10 11:00:41 PST 2005

I have a copy of "A First Book Upon the Birds of Oregon and Washington", by William Rogers Lord, 1902. On page 224 "The Snowflake, or Snow Bunting" is the heading the author uses.

It is an interesting, small old book that I picked up in a used book store in the University District of Seattle. It is signed "Alida Bigelow 1914". She put a check mark next to Snowflake, and checked many other birds in the book. It is interesting to read the opinions of birdwatchers from a hundred years ago. They were not very sympathetic towards Raptors! This author was not in favor of the importation of exotic song birds, and notes that Song Thrush, Black Thrush, European Goldfinch and Skylarks were released in the Portland area. He was worried about the increase in House Finch and Starling populations. He says that Starlings were not yet common but could be seen in downtown Portland.

He also calls the Towhee by the name of Chewink and  Ground Robin.

-Mark Vernon
Renton, WA