[Tweeters] Ocean Shores - Snowy Owls & Snow Buntings

Marcus.D.Roening at gsk.com Marcus.D.Roening at gsk.com
Mon Nov 28 17:47:07 PST 2005

Hi Tweets,

On Sunday, Woody Wheeler, Tony Lamberti and I experienced a decidedly
un-November day out at Ocean Shores.  The sun was shining and the wind was
dead calm - I've been colder at Ocean Shores in July!

We first checked out the North Jetty and had a nice flock of rock birds,
including:
12 Black Turnstones
10 Surfbirds
3 ROCK SANDPIPERS

At 2:00pm, we  began our hike out to the end of Damon Point, in search of
the Snow Buntings.  While they were the last birds we found, they turned
out to be the closest to the cars.  We found 2 female SNOW BUNTINGS near
the pond in Damon Point, in the flattened sand area closest to the parking
lot and the road.

We located 2 SNOWY OWLS, an adult and an immature about 2/3 of the way out
in the center of the point.  It might be possible to view them with a scope
from the break in the road.

Also saw large flocks of Brant, a single Northern Shrike and a single
distant falcon fly-by.

Good Birding,

Marcus Roening
Tacoma, WA