[Tweeters] swan query

Ruth and/or Patrick Sullivan godwit at worldnet.att.net
Tue Nov 22 12:47:10 PST 2005

Hello Tweets,

It comes to our attention that the swan we initially identified as an immature Trumpeter Swan at Ocean Shores on the 20th of November is now in debate. We have placed 2 photos of the bird on our website for viewing if any of you may have any feedback or comments. The bird was bigger than the nearby Canada Geese it was with,but the bill was more or less Canvasback-like in shape like a typical Trumpeter Swan. We have just learned than some immature Tundra Swans can have similar shaped bills,but the key is the pale pink area at the base of the bill,where in Trumpeter Swans this is lacking. In our 2 photos the area at the base of the bill doesn't look pale,but more or less darkish and could be a result of the lighting. It looks like this area at the base of the bill will be turning darker in time,but seems to be non descript now. We welcome any replies back any of you may have.

Our photos of the swan in question cane be accessed at the following link: http://www.pbase.com/godwit/november05photos/

Sincerely,

Ruth and Patrick Sullivan
Fircrest,WA