[Tweeters] WOS Meeting in Seattle, TONIGHT

Lynn Schulz linusq at worldnet.att.net
Mon Oct 3 11:36:41 PDT 2005

Yikes!  We're late posting this reminder about the WOS meeting TONIGHT, our
first meeting of the season!

The Washington Ornithological Society would like to invite you to our
monthly meeting tonight, Monday, Oct 3, at 7:00 at the Center for Urban
Horticulture in Seattle:

Becky Hartley - "Little Birds with Big Voices:  How Do They Do It?"

Becky will discuss how small birds can sing their long and elaborate songs.
During the program, she will tell about the structure and function of the
songbird syrinx, the vocal organ, and about the anatomy and physiology of
the avian respiratory system, which powers vocalization.  Some of the
techniques scientists use in the lab to investigate the mechanisms of
vocalization will also be discussed.  If time permits, the song control
areas of the brain, which vary by sex and season, will be introduced.

Becky Hartley is an Associate Professor of Biology at Seattle University,
where she teaches undergraduate courses in vertebrate physiology, anatomy,
and embryology.  She has previously measured the respiratory patterns that
accompany song in canaries and catbirds, and also studied lateralization of
vocal organ function in these birds.

Note:  Meetings are held the first Monday of each month (except July,
August, and September) at the Center for Urban Horticulture on the
University of Washington campus, 3501 N.E. 41st Street, Seattle, and are
open to all. The social begins at 7:00 pm, and the program starts at 7:30
pm.

Directions: From I-5 take SR520 East. Take the Montlake Blvd NE exit and
turn North towards the University of Washington campus. Stay in right lane
and drive North on Montlake Blvd (over the bridge and past the stadium). The
road will curve to the right around the Montlake Fill and merges with NE
45th St. You will quickly approach a 5 way intersection. At the intersection
turn right onto Mary Gates Memorial Drive. The Center for Urban Horticulture
is 2 long blocks down on the right. There is plenty of free parking at the
facility. We use the main meeting room, the backside of which faces the
road. The following bus routes stop at NE 45th and Mary Gates Memorial
Drive: #25, 65, & 75. See map at
http://depts.washington.edu/urbhort/html/info/contact.html.

Carol Schulz
Washington Ornithological Society Secretary
http://www.wos.org