[Tweeters] Fwd: Dipper habitats

Charles Swift chaetura at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 16:14:49 PDT 2005

Hi All -

Guess I'll throw my 2 cents into this discussion. We find dippers at high
elevation sub-alpine lakes and outlet streams in north-central Idaho and in
the Wallowas in northeastern Oregon in the summer. We had one at Crystal
Lake in the Gospel Hump Wilderness of north-central Idaho at ~8000' over
Labor Day weekend.

It does seem that there is a distinct upslope movement in the summer. We
floated the Middle Fork of the Salmon in late July several years ago and
there were very few dippers along mile after mile of excellent habitat
(there were, however, loads of Spotted Sandpipers which we also find up high
later). Dippers seem to like these rivers during spring run-off, for
example, I saw many (presumed breeders) on a Selway River float this past
spring.

thanks, Charles.

--
Charles Swift