[Tweeters] radio telemetry volunteers

Martha Jordan swanlady at drizzle.com
Tue Oct 11 16:01:39 PDT 2005

The swans will be returning soon. As you are aware, there has been a large
die-off of trumpeter swans from lead shot ingestion in Whatcom County and
over the border in the Sumas Prairie area of B.C. For several years WDFW,
USFWS and Canadian Wildlife Service have been studying the issue to try and
find the source of the lead shot. More than 240 radio transmitter collars
have been put on swans in that area. This year a possible 195 could be
returning. We need to track them and find where they are feeding.

This year, funding for the project is down considerably. The wildlife
agencies have decided to use volunteers for some of the project needs. The
USFWS has asked The Trumpeter Swan Society to coordinate the telemetry work
using volunteers. We will train you and compensation for gas will be
provided. The project will run from Nov. 1 through January. You can give a
little or a lot, we need people for any day of the week as we hope to do
telemetry 7 days/week.

If you are interested and can give 1 day/week for several weeks, or several
days a week please contact me at marthaj at swansociety.org or 425-787-0258.

If you know anyone who would be interested in this kind of opportunity,
please share this information.

Martha Jordan