[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 10/13/05

Scrubjay323 at aol.com Scrubjay323 at aol.com
Thu Oct 13 17:40:39 PDT 2005

Tweets,

Today six of us walked Nisqually under cool, overcast skies. The sun peaked
out a bit, but not much. At least it didn't rain. What we had was nothing like
 what Colin had at Cornell last recently.

There were scads of first year YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS and RED-WINGED
BLACKBIRDS around, but things were pretty slow.

Best bird of the day was a GREEN HERON at the end of the ring dike near the
soon to be locked gate. Other highlights included a MOURNING DOVE out on the
banks of McAllister Creek and several small flocks of RUBY CROWNED and GOLDEN
CROWNED KINGLETS (there back). Included in these small flocks were BROWN
CREEPER, DOWNEY WOODPECKER, and BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEE.

The Nisqually River is cafe au lait brown from silt being released from
Alder Dam, so all the BELTED KINGFISHERS you would see there are at the pond
behind the visitor center or at McAllister Creek.

Waterfowl are starting to show up, but water levels are still really low on
the refuge. Raptor numbers were also down this week. Sparrows are starting to
show up in better numbers and should increase as the weeks go on.

All told today we saw 40 species with nothing new for the year. Mammals  seen
today were a single RACCOON across the pond behind the visitor center  and a
HARBOR SEAL in the Nisqually River.

Until next week....

Phil  Kelley
Lacey, WA
360-459-1499
scrubjay323 at aol.com

"We were few  and they were many. Now we are many and they are  few."
Confucius