[Tweeters] White-thoated Sparrow @ Juanita Bay Park and Thayer's Gulls in Tukwila

Stefan Schlick greenfant at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 28 13:09:23 PDT 2005

At about 10am this morning, I saw a (the?) tan-striped White-throated
Sparrow at Juanita Bay Park. The exact spot was on the east side of the Old
Slough Bridge near the 7th bench counting from the south end (9 from the
north). Other highlights were a Merlin perched up on a Weeping Willow near
the parking lot and 23 Wilson's Snipe lined up at the muddy beach at the
north end of the park.

Yesterday, I stopped by the Thayer's Gull spot in Tukwila that Matt Bartels
described in an earlier post (this time I did not forget the directions
...). I was not disappointed as there were many Thayer's and Herring Gull
bathing in the Duwamish River. Again, here are Matt's directions to the
site:

Coming south on I-5, take exit 156 ["Tukwila Interurban Ave"]. Turn right at
the light onto Interurban Ave [northbound]. In about 2/10 of a mile, turn
right onto Gateway Rd. Follow this road about 1/10 of a mile, then park in
one of the non-reserved parking spots around a building prominently marked
13075. Walk to the Duwamish River, just beyond the buildings. The gulls
bathe along the river here. They mostly roost on the metal rooftop of the
Yellow Transport company sheds just south of here. It is possible to walk
the paved trail along this area to get closer views of the rooftop gulls if
none are immediately present on the river.

Stefan Schlick
Bellevue, WA