FW: [Tweeters] Lyons Ferry..." wild turkey!" - !?

Stewart Wechsler ecostewart at quidnunc.net
Tue Sep 6 11:06:04 PDT 2005

I've been asked a number of times when I'd call an immigrant or introduced
species a "native". Here is my answer:

I'd say that a species can be called native when a new suite of species has
evolved that is adapted to the introduced species, including possibly new
species have split from the introduced parent species creating a new
equilibrium and a new equal or higher level of species diversity for the
area . Think of what occurred in the Galapagos Islands over evolutionary
time as new species arrived then split into new species and presumably old
species went extinct or evolved to adapt to the conditions created by the
immigrant species, including evolving to be adapted to prey on the new
species. I don't know how long this evolution and speciation process
typically takes. I would have no problem with introduced species if they
were introduced at the rate that it takes for evolution to create as many
new species as that species would likely drive into extinction. If anyone
can tell me how many new species evolve in say the Puget Trough per
millenium, I'd tell you how many new immigrant/introduced species I'd
welcome to this area per millenium. I understand that with the rate of
change that humans are creating, especially the humans I call "the
commercial tribe", the rate of evolution may be faster.

I will say that I'm a bit softer on species that arrive on their own steam
without direct human help.

Stewart