[Tweeters] Heermann's Gulls in large numbers at Edmonds

Mark Vernon ma_vern at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 8 15:15:35 PDT 2005

Today I visted Edmonds waterfront to see the Heermann's Gulls. They are one of my favorite gulls. There were many all over the place, especially on the jetty around the marina. They were quarrelling with the other gulls, terns and cormorants. They seemed to be bullying the Bonaparte's Gulls. Are they more common in Edmonds, north, than in the Seattle area?

I also took a look at the Edmonds marsh for the first time. I counted 8 Killdeers and a couple of other shorebirds that slipped out of view. Lots of Barn Swallows lined up on the wires.

In any case Edmonds is proving to be a nice addition to my regular places.

-Mark Vernon
Renton, WA