[Tweeters] Tonite at Tracyton Boat Launch

MaryK CelloBird at seanet.com
Sun Sep 11 19:26:39 PDT 2005

Things are picking up along the Port Washington Narrows heading towards Dyes
Inlet.  I spent close to an hour at the boat launch tonite, wishing the
birds were closer to shore, but oh well.  There are at least 5 COMMON LOONS
in the area now, up from 1 a couple weeks ago.  RED-NECKED GREBE numbers are
up from 2 to at least 6.  WHITE-WINGED SCOTERS are showing up, there were at
least 4, and a couple dozen basic plumage PIGEON GUILLEMOTS rounded out the
newly-arrived/arriving waterfowl.  (That was interesting, as I'm still
seeing PIGU near the ferry terminal that haven't yet molted into basic
plumage.)  There were four MALLARD drakes heading out of eclipse into their
winter finery, when the setting sun hit their speculums/speculae the purple
glow was wonderful!  A few BARN SWALLOWS are still hanging around, there
were a couple of KILLDEER, an adult GREAT BLUE HERON, one male BELTED
KINGFISHER, and the usual contingent of GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULLS.  I could hear
STELLER'S JAYS, BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEES, and BUSHTITS in the trees and
bushes.

Good birding,
Mary