[Tweeters] Sunday's Pelagic Trip

Jason Paulios jpaulios at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 11 22:22:16 PDT 2005

Tweeters,

The pelagic gods finally smiled down upon me (third time is the charm)
and allowed a full run of the Westport pelagic boat to Gray's Canyon! I
still threw up three times, and had my head between my legs for the
whole way back...but LAYSAN ALBATROSS baby! It seemed all who wore
their prescription patches were blessed, I guess it might be time to get
health insurance. Dramamine works for only so long before those huge
swells take their toll.

Anyway, we had a pretty good trip. Low total numbers (except Sooty
Shearwaters and Fulmars) but species represented were pretty good.
Missed Long-tailed Jaeger (but it is getting late), Sabine's Gull, and
Flesh-footed Shearwater (a little early), but had great looks at:
POMARINE JAEGER, SOUTH POLAR SKUA, BULLER'S SHEARWATER, PINK-FOOTED
SHEARWATER (low numbers), FORK-TAILED STORM-PETREL, TUFTED PUFFIN,
CASSIN'S AUKLETS (not close looks though), NORTHERN FULMAR (both phases)
BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS and the bird of the trip: LAYSAN ALBATROSS. Also
saw a three BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKES (2 adults, 1 juv) and a flock of
Marbled Godwits along the jetty on the way in. I think they may have
seen a RED PHALAROPE as well, but I couldn't be bothered to lift my head
at the time.

See the www.westportseabirds.com page for info on their next trip (I
believe in two weeks).

Most of the participants checked on the Curlew Sandpiper situation at
Bottle Beach at incoming tide afterwards. No luck that I know of.
Keith Brady and Bob Morse made a check for a few hours at first light
(high tide) with no luck either. This evening there was a BAIRD'S
SANDPIPER and at least one SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER present with the more
common stuff.

Jason Paulios
Olympia, WA
Jpaulios at earthlink.net